The Morris Family

The Morris Family
Jordan, Cherstin, William

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Moving!

While I love the notion of organizing and weeding out unneeded things, I dread the actual move. 

In the good news area, we like our new place. It has bigger rooms, lots of storage, a great living room/kitchen open feel, is on the top floor, and is a block away from the public library, which we visit multiple times a week. 
Oh, and literally 1/2 a block from a Redbox!  Yay for no more late fees because we were too lazy to drive to drop off the movie.    

Now for the not so happy thoughts.... I hate moving.  It was especially hard because we have a little one who continuously wants to play.  It was hard to balance playing and feeding and putting him down for naps, with the packing and moving. 
 Lucky for us, we have great friends. Particularly our neighbors who not only fed us pretty much the whole week of the move, but watched William so that we could get more done, and not worry about him running off, crying, or getting run over. Thank you! Thank you also for all the help from family and friends for the long hours of loading, and unloading the truck, feeding us, and just being there for us in general.

 So, now for the reason for this post: What I have learned from this move, and plan to do again/different next time. There were a few things I think I did well this time around. I got boxes, early, and started packing. Early. I also took people up on their offers to help. I wouldn't have been able to get as much done, as I did, without the help.




So here is the list for the future:

First a list to plan out the weeks before the move.
  • Start collecting boxes EARLY!!!! (2 months at least) You can usually go to local grocery stores in the produce area to get good Apple/Pear/Onion/Banana boxes for free. They are the best for moving.
  • Start packing non-essentials early… this means books, decorations and other extra stuff. (1 month at least)
  • If you have a lot of friends you want to say goodbye to, plan a party 2-3 weeks before, so it’s before the stress of the move, and then you will have had the chance to say a good 'goodbye'.
  • About 2 weeks out, pack a suitcase of clothes/toiletries you will be needing to live for the next few weeks. Then ONLY use this so you can pack EVERYTHING else.
  • Start soaking/spraying tough stains 2 weeks in advance.  It is easier to do a maintenance clean right before you move, than a deep clean.
  • If you want to only pack newly-washed clothes, start washing, then packing 2 weeks out.
  • Kitchens are tricky. About 1 week out, put some simple cooking things in a box, set on counter. This is what you will be cooking, and eating with for the next week. Pack all other Kitchen things. 
  • Call people at least 1 week in advance to help with the move.
  • 1-3 days before the move, give perishable food away if you are moving far away and can’t take it with you.
  • On 'day of move' have everyone who is helping know the plan:  Where to get boxes, where to put them, what’s for lunch, tome frame etc. 
Now for just general tips and ideas.
  • If possible, visit the new place, to get a better idea of what space you will be working with. 
  • Start packing EVERYTHING in bedrooms, bathrooms, living rooms
  • Clean things as you go
  • Weed out things as you go.
  • Don't just grab random things, pack like-things together.
  • Don't pack cleaning supplies. If you need some, you can make it most of the time
  • Label all boxes clearly, with the room it will go into. On all sides.
  • Working from one side of the room to the other can help with the problem of where to start.
  • Determine a time and day you want to load the truck, and STICK TO IT!  That means have everything packed in boxes by this time. 
  • Provide a snack/meal for sustenance for the people who help.
  • Make a 'baby snack/toy' bag full of goodies to entertain little ones. 
  • Ask people for help cleaning. It goes a lot faster.
  • Gather a lot of rags to wipe everything down. Don't pack them.
  • Wrap fragile things in newspaper. Don't carry them separately yourself.…  Yes, I did carry them. Don’t do it, it’s not the smartest way to do it.
  • Put blankets in trash bags, CLEARLY labeled, to protect them and keep them together.
  • Take Breaks!
  • Precook meals so you just have to heat up in the oven/microwave.
  • Plan meals so you know what utensils and cooking stuff you need to keep in your special box on the counter.
  • Have Sandwich Items for lunch. It is quick setup/clean up, and it’s filling and yummy!
  • Did I mention LABEL?  So have a stack of labels and a permanent marker in a SET LOCATION to make it easier.
  • Have a bag for adult snacks.  Lifting and moving boxes is TIRING!
  • Try to use uniform boxes. I say; if something is smaller than 1 sq ft, put it in a bigger box with other things.  It’s a hassle trying to carry smaller containers and bigger containers.
  • Only do half of a big box with books. Books get heavy FAST!  so do cans, split it up if you can, or get smaller boxes. 
  • Listen to fun motivational music while you pack/clean.
  • Food.   If you are moving close by, pack and move the food last, so it doesn’t spoil/get smashed.
  • For cleaning, write up a list of everything you need to clean/do before you leave.  Then DO IT!  If you remember something else, WRITE IT DOWN!
  • Be happy!  Enjoy this opportunity for Change, and if you are like me, the time to Organize!  Yay!
 Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. That is the most organized list and planned ahead list I have ever seen for packing. Way to go Cher! I'm glad you survived the move, and I really hope you like your new ward. It will be a nice change. P.S. I like the new font (at least it looks new) on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list Cherstin! We are SERISOULY going to miss having you right next door. I keep having to remind myself that you are only a few blocks away- it just seems SO far! {I'm just lazy is all}
    Thank you so much for the list! I hope that I can learn from you guys and have an easier move than our last two. That's my plan anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it is tough to move, we've done it too many times. But is brings new opportunities and can sometimes be quite a blessing.
    We are super excited to see your new place!!

    Love you all,
    Mom and Dad Morris

    ReplyDelete